When to File Form 1040A

There are three types of form that you should consider when you set out to file your tax return. These forms are Form 1040, Form 1040EZ, and Form 1040A. This article gives you tax form assistance by telling you when you can file Form 1040A. If you don’t wish to use Form 1040EZ, which is used in filing simple tax returns, you can turn to Form 1040A and use it only if every circumstances listed below are true.

You can file Form 1040A if your income comes only from wages; salaries; tips; Alaska Fund dividends; any dividends; IRA pensions, distributions, and annuities; mutual fund capital gain distributions; taxable railroad retirement benefits; taxable social security benefits;  pay from jury duty; interest aside from exempt private activity bonds; or unemployment compensation. Moreover, the adjustments to your income must only come from IRA deduction; penalty from early withdrawal of your savings; tuition and feeds deduction; student loan interest deduction; or pay from duty pay given to your employer, if any.

Aside from these, you also have to check if the tax credits you claim are child tax credit; additional child tax credit; education credit; childcare and dependent care expense credit; earned income credit; or retirement savings contribution credit. Plus, your taxes should only be from the tax table; advanced earned income credit payments; alternative minimum tax; recapture of education credits; qualified dividends tax worksheet; capital gain tax worksheet; and Form 8615.

December 21 2008 11:27 pm | Tax Form Questions

Leave a Reply